I came across this recipe when I was looking for ways to use up Easter ham and I was a little skeptical at first but it’s now become one of my family’s favorite recipes! It’s so super simple to put together, you can make it in one pot and it’s a light comfort food that now has me buying ham from the deli counter just to make this.
Ham & Pasta Skillet Dinner
- 1 pound small tube or shell pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups fully cooked ham, diced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions – only cooking until al dente since pasta will continue to cook and soak up liquid when added to the skillet.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a large skillet, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat until butter is melted. Add pepper, onion, and garlic and cook until vegetables are tender, about 4-6 minutes. Add ham, basil and oregano and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for another 2-3 minutes. Stir in broth (or stock) and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half (at first it looks like it will be way to “brothy” but never fear, if you are patient, it will reduce!).
- Stir drained pasta into ham and vegetable mixture. Add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and toss. Sprinkle parsley and remaining parmesan cheese over the top of the pasta. Serve immediately.
Check out More Recipes you may be interested in:
Have you joined the Sea of Savers on Facebook? Join over 40,700 others, make friends and share deals you find!
Recipe adapted from: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
Filed Under: Main Dishes