Sometimes just a bit of good old cheesy potatoes is definitely called for and when I came across this Cheese Potato & Smoked Sausage Casserole recipe on Food.com I knew I MUST try it! It is so delicious, simple and its easy on the budget.
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled, boiled and cut into cubes when cool
- 4 Tbs butter
- 4 Tbs flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ lb Velveeta cheese, diced
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb skinless smoked sausage (ham or hot dogs will work too)
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut sausage in half, lengthwise, and chop into bite size pieces.
- Cook in a frying pan for about 15 minutes, turning frequently to SLIGHTLY brown.
- Meanwhile, put cooked potatoes in a 2 qt casserole dish. Add cooked meat and toss.
- Mix remaining ingredients (minus the cheddar cheese & paprika) in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, creating a roux). Cook until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Use a whisk and stir constantly.
- Pour sauce over potatoes and meat and gently mix until incorporated.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top, and then sprinkle paprika evenly over the top.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
Check out more yummy recipes you may be interested in:
Have you joined the Sea of Savers on Facebook? Join over 41,600 others, make friends and share deals you find!
Filed Under: Main Dishes